Monday, September 19, 2011

Welcome Post 1

 
I have chosen family roles in the home as my stereotype to research throughout the semester. In our culture men are seen as the bread winners. They go out and work all day and bring home the money. Women are stay at home moms, caring for the children, cleaning the house, and preparing dinner for when her husband comes home.  I am interested in researching this stereotype because I grew up in a family where both my mother and father worked. My mother never cooked, it has always been my dad, and everyone in my family did chores. 

I want to research this topic and find out if this stereotype is actually true, and if so to what extent. How many families have the traditional stay at home mom, and working dad? Today you see more women with jobs, and the balance of work and family. 

I also want to look at how this stereotype affects children. A child who grows up with a working mom and dad compared to a child who has grown up with a stay at home mom and working dad. What are the differences in these two children’s development are they affected by family roles? What if they had a stay at home dad?  Do children grow up thinking that they must do as their family?

 All of these questions are going to be explored throughout the semester.  Are woman suppose to be stay at home moms? Are children affected by what their parents do? Are these even real stereotypes?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Allison! I do believe that this is a real stereotype. Back in the 50's and 60"s women did typically stay at home to raise the family and take care of the home. The women's movement changed all of this and has challenged our society for a long time as to "who does what" in the household. I do believe today that most men and women share this role as caregiver and "housewife". And why isn't there a "houseman", considering our society has gone through so much change over the years? Cannot wait to see where you go with this blog!

    ReplyDelete